Hosting a dinner party?
Why not pick up a few cooking tips & tricks at the same time?
You’d be surprised how much quicker and more confident you’ll be with the most basic skills under your belt. Understanding the proper way to hold a knife; why chefs heat their pans before adding ingredients or which cooking fat to use will not only save you time and improve confidence, but increase nutritious and flavour!
As a chef I place a great emphasis on creating handmade products and sauces. Avoiding unnatural foods (with preservatives, modified or refined ingredients, hormones, GMOs and pesticides) can be difficult at first. Let me show you how this becomes much easier when starting with fresh, raw ingredients. This evening of interactive cooking with me will demonstrate the basics to making items from scratch, building various sauces to heighten dishes (without chemical additives), layering flavours in soups, and some simple techniques anyone can benefit from. You’ll never buy another bottle of salad dressing when you see how simple they are to make yourself – with ingredients you can pronounce. I won’t only show you the how, but I’ll explain why trade secrets work!
No two people have the same food preferences. For that, no two classes are ever the same! If you’re a carbohydrate enthusiast maybe you want to learn fresh pasta for special occasions, while others may want to know what to cook when hosting vegetarian friends. Whatever you desire its sure to be an educational, fun and tasty experience.
This comprehensive class will demonstrate every step from handling a knife, prepping ingredients and final plating. For example, for pasta, night guests will learn to form various pasta shapes and later prepare the accompanying meat, vegetables and sauce. Watch hands on demonstrations as I cook and jump in when you wish as we all prepare an unforgettable family-style meal to be enjoyed at the end.
The Take Away . . .
Each student will walk away with better skills than when they started. Cooking like a professional chef takes years of dedication but mastering techniques to use in your home every day can be a game changer when it comes to entertaining. Showing you how to execute a 3-4 course meal will also give you the confidence to venture out into many other variations and recipes with confidence. Basic recipes and instructions will be provided.
A Whole world of SOUP
– Learn to make soup with many layers of flavour. Understand why ingredients go in the pot at different times, what ‘deglazing‘ does and how to get that irresistibly smooth texture or super clear broth you see in restaurants.
– Add texture to your soup in many ways. Super thin baked garlic crostinis, rustic croutons from old bread or even a crab salad to take cold soups to the next level in summer months.
Noodles + Sauce + Ingredients
– An interactive pasta rolling demonstration. With over half a dozen shapes and sizes, pasta night will never get boring in your home. Understand the importance of folding dough multiple times, desired thickness and which noodle is most appropriate. Take with you my dough recipe and a few sauce variations that I’ve collected and tweaked over the past decade.
– Whether adding wild mushrooms, creating a caponata or simply blanching rapini; together we’ll bring out the most in every aspect of our creation. On the other hand, if you have a favourite dish you always wished to make, we can make that happen too!
– See how garnishes like fresh herbs, olive tapenade, aged cheese and even truffle oil create amazing first impressions. Learn the key to simple yet delicious cuisine!
– Handmade bow tie (called Farfalle) pasta noodles are one of my favourite but the technique will take you a few tries. Once you get the hang of it though, everyone will be impressed!
– Marinated lamb sausage (Merguez) mixture will be spiced to your preference and transferrable to any other ground meat you desire. Just don’t tell my Italian Chef mentor we’re deviating form tradition!
– Watch and take notes as this amazingly quick pan sauces are created right in front of your eyes. So complex yet so simple.
– Hand formed buns or twists may remind you of Cinnabon but way better fresh out of the oven steaming with the aroma of many spices!